Join the Saint Clair Wines mailing list
Connect with Saint Clair
Saint Clair Social Media Feeds
All Pioneer block's pinot noir's have shown a serious jump in quality this year
Pioneer Block 6 Oh Block Sauvignon Blanc 2009
WINEMAKER: Matt Thomson
Region:O’Dwyers Road, lower Rapaura (north of Blenheim).
Soils: Free-draining, deep alluvial, silt soils (versus stones on the upper Rapaura).
Climate: Cool days, warm nights, typical of the Marlborough area.
Vine Age: Seven growing seasons.
Regional Characteristics & contribution to Uniqueness of Flavours: The soils in this vineyard differ markedly from the Upper Rapaura stony banded soils. These silt soils are much more fertile. Passionfruit and grapefruit characters dominate the palate.
Viticulture:The fruit was sourced from a single vineyard on O’Dwyers Road in the lower Rapaura area north of Blenheim. This site has fertile, deep silt soils. The fruit was carefully monitored during ripening and harvested at maximum flavour maturity and physiological ripeness.
Winemaking:The juice was pressed off immediately to minimise skin contact and juice deterioration following harvesting. After settling, the juice was fermented using a variety of selected yeast in 100 per cent stainless steel at cool temperatures to retain fruit flavour and freshness. This batch was selected as a Pioneer Block wine due to its power and intensity of flavour.
Aroma:Intensely concentrated aromas of grapefruit, boxwood, blackcurrant and passionfruit.
Palate:This is an incredibly pungent Sauvignon Blanc with powerful passionfruit, grapefruit and blackcurrant and an underlying mineral note. The palate is intensely concentrated and full with a long, lingering finish.
Cellaring:This wine is drinking beautifully now and may also be enjoyed over the next one to two years.
Alcohol: 12.5% v/v, Titratable Acidity: 7.9g/litre, Residual Sugar: 3.4g/litre, pH: 3.53.
Food Match:An ideal match with fresh seafood, chicken salad or vegetarian quiche.
- Trophy Champion Sauvignon Blanc, Royal Easter Show Wine Awards 2010
- Trophy, Winestate WOYA 2009 Sauvignon Blanc of the Year
- Gold, Royal Easter Show Wine Awards 2010
- Gold, Decanter World Wine Awards 2010
- Gold, Bragato Wine Awards 2010
- Silver, NZ International Wine Show 2009
- Silver, Bragato Wine Awards
- 4 ½ Stars, Winestate Magazine Special Edition 2009
- 92 points, Wine & Spirits Magazine USA - 100 BEST WINES OF THE YEAR! Feb 2011 Issue - (Joshua Green at Wine & Spirits)
- 91 points, Wine Spectator 2010