Join the Saint Clair Wines mailing list
Connect with Saint Clair
Saint Clair Social Media Feeds
The single vineyard ‘Pioneer Block’ wines of Saint Clair require separate handling, the winery using 250 small tanks to manage this. The amount of detail for winemakers Matt Thomson and Hamish Clark and their team is considerable, but the result is a fascinating range of wines that express their origin and site. In essence Saint Clair is bottling ‘terroir’ for keen wine enthusiasts to ponder and enjoy. The quality per se of the ‘Pioneer Block’ wines has been extremely high as well, reflecting the identification of superior as well as individual vineyards by Saint Clair’s owner Neal Ibbotson.
Awards & Accolades
Doctor's Creek Reserve Pinot Noir 2006
- Silver: Royal Hobart International Wine Show 2007 - AUSTRALIA
- Bronze: Perth Royal Wine Show 2007
- Bronze: Air New Zealand Wine Awards 2007
- Bronze: The New Zealand International Wine Show 2007
- Bronze: Decanter World Wine Awards 2008 - UK
- 4 ½ Stars: Winestate Magazine 2007
- 90 points: Robert Parker's The Wine Advocate 04/08 USA
- 86 points: Bob Campbell M.W. 2007 August Tasting
"No, Saint Clair didn't give me any money to write about their wines. However, I've had a tasting with Matt Thomson, the Chief Winemaker, and I have been truly impressed by this Pinot Noir, and for two main reasons: it's one of the most Burgundian style Pinot Noir I've had from Marlborough, and at $25, as Matt puts it: "It's bloody cheap!"
Ben Longhurst, Lancome Loves Men Magazine, 21 June 2007
"rich, sturdy, plums and mushrooms, balancing acidity and light tannins."
Graeme Barrow, Wanganui Chronicle, 14 July 2007