Join the Saint Clair Wines mailing list
Connect with Saint Clair
Saint Clair Social Media Feeds
The single vineyard ‘Pioneer Block’ wines of Saint Clair require separate handling, the winery using 250 small tanks to manage this. The amount of detail for winemakers Matt Thomson and Hamish Clark and their team is considerable, but the result is a fascinating range of wines that express their origin and site. In essence Saint Clair is bottling ‘terroir’ for keen wine enthusiasts to ponder and enjoy. The quality per se of the ‘Pioneer Block’ wines has been extremely high as well, reflecting the identification of superior as well as individual vineyards by Saint Clair’s owner Neal Ibbotson.
Awards & Accolades
Pioneer Block 6 Oh! Block Sauvignon Blanc 2006
- Trophy Champion Sauvignon Blanc: New Zealand International Wine Competition 2006
- Trophy Best Wine in the Show: International Aromatic Wine Competition 2006
- Trophy Best Sauvignon Blanc: International Aromatic Wine Competiton 2006
- Gold: International Aromatic Wine Competition 2006
- Gold: Casino First Taste Sauvignon Blanc Awards 2006
- Gold: Royal Easter Show Wine Awards 2007
- Gold: Air New Zealand Wine Awards 2006
- Gold: New Zealand International Wine Show 2006
- 5 Stars: Winestate - Marlborough Tasting 2007
- 5 Stars: Bob Campbell, Gourmet Traveller Wine, Dec/Jan 2007
- 4 ½ Stars: Cuisine Magazine New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc Tasting 2007
"Explosive tomato stalk and watercress, moist, grassy compost, passionfruit, peapods and lime. It tastes like a lime-soaked fruit salad on a bed of green herbs intensely crisp and flavoursome with power, length and attitude. If I were a millionaire nutcase I'd probably bathe in this."
Yvonne Lorkin, Manawatu Standard, 20 Januray 2007
"This powerful Sauvignon Blanc has intense concentration and complexity. The passion fruit and white currant notes mingle with a mineral and nettley intensity that gives the palate a concentration that lasts and lasts. Marvellous Sauvignon Blanc!"
Raymond Chan, Grapevine Extra, 28 November 2006
"Powerful wine with strong passionfruit and armpit/matchstick characters. A suggestion of sweetness is perfectly balanced by tangy acidity."
Bob Campbell MW, Gourmet Traveller Wine, Dec/Jan 2007
"A mouthfilling, very generous wine with an oily texture and smooth, ripe, tropical-fruit flavours, crisp and rich."
Michael Cooper, John Belsham, Simon Waghorn, Cuisine January 2007