Join the Saint Clair Wines mailing list
Connect with Saint Clair
Saint Clair Social Media Feeds
So far, the 2011s show plenty of promise and some pretty terrific wines and values. At the top of the list, not surprisingly, is Saint Clair. Saint Clair winemaker Matt Thomson is passionate about Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, and he's exploring the region in depth with the Pioneer Block series, which focuses on select parcels and vineyard sites. I like those wines very much but the reserve bottling is truly the standout - aromatic and elegant, and wonderfully delicious.
Awards & Accolades
Omaka Reserve Pinot Noir 2005
- Silver: Royal Hobart International Wine Show 2006
- Bronze: NZ International Wine Show 2006
- Bronze: Air New Zealand Wine Awards 2006
- Bronze: Royal Easter Show Wine Awards 2007
- 4 ½ Stars: Cuisine NZ Pinot Noir Tasting 2006
- 4 Stars: Winestate - Marlborough Tasting 2007
- 90 points: Wine Enthusiast Magazine - May 2007
- 89 points: International Wine Cellar, Stephen Tanzer, USA 2007
- 86 points: Wine Spectator Magazine USA, 2007
"Typically Marlborough in style is the Saint Clair Omaka Reserve Pinot Noir 05. It's floral, plummy and savoury, with dried herbs and mushrooms, full-flavoured with firm tannins."
Greame Barrow, Wanganui Chronicle, 20 January 2007
"Here's a wine for those who like oodles of spicy oak. It boisters the peppery, edgy fruit and fills out the palate and lingers on the aftertaste."
Charmain Smith, Otago Daily Times, 2 May 2007
"Fabulous Christmas pork deserves a rich, ripe wine to complement it. Look to this complex pinot with plenty of structure from a very reliable Marlborough producer."
Lauraine Jacobs, Sunday Star Times, 19 November 2006