Join the Saint Clair Wines mailing list
Connect with Saint Clair
Saint Clair Social Media Feeds
So far, the 2011s show plenty of promise and some pretty terrific wines and values. At the top of the list, not surprisingly, is Saint Clair. Saint Clair winemaker Matt Thomson is passionate about Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, and he's exploring the region in depth with the Pioneer Block series, which focuses on select parcels and vineyard sites. I like those wines very much but the reserve bottling is truly the standout - aromatic and elegant, and wonderfully delicious.
Awards & Accolades
Wairau Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2005
- Trophy Champion Sauvignon Blanc: Winestate Wine of the Year Awards 2006
- Trophy Champion Sauvignon Blanc: New Zealand International Wine Show 2005
- Gold: New Zealand International Wine Show 2005
- Gold: Royal Hobart International Wine Show 2005
- Gold: Christchurch Casino First Taste Awards Sauvignon Blanc 2005
- Silver: Decanter World Wine Awards 2006
- Silver: Wines & Spirits Asia Challenge 2006
- Silver: Royal Easter Show Wine Awards 2006
- Bronze: International Wines & Spirits Competition, London 2006
- Bronze: Air New Zealand Wine Awards 2005
- Bronze: International Aromatic Competition 2005
- 5 Stars: Winestate Magazine, March 2006 Issue
- 5 Stars: Cuisine Magazine, January 2006
- 4 Stars: Australian Gourmet Traveller Wine
- 90 points: Wine Enthusiast July 2006
"Is as perfect a Marlborough sauvignon blanc as you can get. Lovely aromas, a suggestion of pungency, lush, yet crisp fruit suggesting melon, coconut, passionfruit, citrus, golden kiwi with a backgraound of mineral and herbs, and what sets it subtly above other good sauvignons, is its harmony and beautiful balance, and a long finish."
Charmian Smith, Otago Daily Times, 8 February 2006
"Is a great example of the best Marlborough produces. A nice weighty mouthfeel with highly varietal flavours of ripe gooseberry and soft capsicum is followered with a very long finish, all wrapped around lots of soft mouth-watering acidity."
Neil Hodgson, Nelson Mail, 21 March 2006
"As usual, the wine has a powerfullly pungent aroma and flavour and possesses incredible weight, richness and length on the palate. A benchmark Sauvignon that is a must for all wine enthusiasts to experience and enjoy."
Raymond Chan, Grapevine Email, 7 October 2005